This amped-up version of a grilled cheese uses Munster & Swiss along with bold beefy onions sauteed with rosemary and thyme. It’s the ultimate indulgence for a fall lunch. Pair with your favorite Temecula Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 4 crusty panini buns
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 4 slices of Munster cheese
- 1 large white onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp pepper
- ½ cup butter
- Cut the buns in half and butter the outsides of each.
- Place the remaining butter into a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and herbs. Cook for about 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef broth and continue to cook until all broth is absorbed by onions. Remove from heat
- Heat panini press or create one by placing a heavy pan on top of the grilled sandwich in a frying pan.
- Place 1 slice of Swiss cheese on the bottom slice then add an equal part of the onion mixture. Add a slice of Munster cheese and the second slice of Swiss. Place the top bun on and press in panini press or fry in a pan with the heavy pan on top until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove and cut in half. Server with sweet or dill pickles
Oak Mountain Winery ~ 2020 Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon – Classic aromas and flavors of cherry, black currant, vanilla, tobacco, and earth.
Akash Winery ~ 2018 Spotlight Cabernet Sauvignon – Aromas of black cherry and cassis balanced by bright herbal and ripe bell pepper notes.
Leoness Cellars ~ 2018 VS Cabernet Sauvignon Pace Vineyard– Aromas of boysenberry and cherry accented by notes of vanilla, olive and lavender.
Bel Vino Winery ~ Gold Collection Cabernet Sauvignon – Flavors of black cherry, warm spice & black pepper. Aromas of black currants and vanilla.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Wine Institute of California
Tags: southern california wineries, Temecula Valley Wine Country, temecula valley wineries, temecula wine, temecula wine country, temecula wine tasting, temecula wineries, temecula wines, visit temecula, wine tasting temecula valley