Many wine-lovers have yet to discover how delicious a late harvest wine can taste – especially when paired with cheese and honey, chocolate or a fruit-based dessert.
The perfect sweet dessert wine for Valentine’s day, late harvest wine is simple to understand and easy to find here in Temecula Valley!
Here are five fun facts about late harvest wine!
Facts courtesy of Wikipedia
- “Late harvest” refers to wines made from grapes left on the vine longer than usual and picked later than normal. Late harvest grapes are often more similar to raisins, but have been naturally dehydrated while still on the vine.
- Late harvest wines are made around the world with almost every grape imaginable. Grapes like zinfandel and riesling are ideally suited to produce late harvest wine and are among the most popular.
- Grapes used for late harvest wines go through their full growth cycle and then some – becoming super sweet and losing acidity as they ripen.
- “Noble rot” is the term for the edible mold that causes grapes to lose nearly all of their water content. This natural process begins to take place in late September and can last until late October.
- Late harvest grapes are often hand-picked. Sometimes, the usable grapes from one vine may only produce enough juice for a single glass.
Looking for a great bottle of Temecula Valley Late Harvest Wine? Check these wines out!
- Avensole Winery – 2017 Late Harvest Muscat Canelli ~Rich honey-like aromas complement peach and apple flavors ending in an opulent creamy finish.
- Ponte Winery – 2018 Late Harvest ~ This blend of red grapes has been picked late in our harvest season to give way to a deliciously sweet dessert wine. The result? A balanced, medium-bodied sweet treat boasting flavors of cherry pie & baking chocolate.
- Lorenzi Estate Vineyards & Winery – Brenda’s Blend Late Harvest Grenache ~ This delicious desert wine has a beautiful dry finish.
Tags: Avensole Winery, lorenzi estate vineyard & winery, ponte winery, temecula award winning wines, Temecula Valley, Temecula Valley Wine Country, temecula valley winegrowers association, temecula valley wineries, temecula wine, temecula wine country, temecula wine tasting, temecula wineries, temecula wines, wine tasting temecula valley, wine Temecula Valley Wine Country, wineries temecula valley